The general area covered by KASP has attracted interest at least since the early 19th c. G. Finlay (1838) sought to establish Kotroni as ancient Afidna, mostly using topographical analysis and a fragmentary inscription. He also reported remains of a fortified hold of the Middle Ages, later houses and churches, ancient blocks, and ruins of Turkish chifliks. In 1887-1888 prehistoric Age remains were reported in the broader area, which resulted in a partial excavation (Wide 1894). Prehistoric and later sherds were seen on the citadel in the 1960s-1970s (Hope Simpson 1965, McCreadie 1966, Hope Simpson & Dickinson 1979). In 2005, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens under the directorship of Dr. A. Grammenou-Papadimitriou and Prof. P. Petridis initiated systematic excavation on the citadel, which is ongoing (Papadimitriou-Grammenou et al. 2007). KASP, tasked with surface survey and geospatial analysis in the broader area, launched in 2019 as a collaboration between the Ephorate of Antiquities of East Attica and the Irish Institute for Hellenic Studies at Athens with the friendly agreement of the Athens University excavations.